I found the original recipe online here and of course, can never leave well enough alone. I also didn’t have everything I needed to make the recipe and did not feel like making a trip to the store, so I improvised and it worked! My husband would never touch a dish like this with a ten foot pole so this was a solo venture.
- 1-1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/8 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 chili powder
- 1/8 cayenne pepper
- 1/4 of 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 of 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 lb. peeled and cooked shrimp
- 1-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp. dried mint
- 1/2 cup cooked rice (I mixed gluten-free brown and white together)
- In a medium skillet, heat coconut oil and add jalapeno. Heat in oil for about 3 minutes. Add minced onion and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for a minute or two. Add spices up to tomatoes. Return to a very low heat and stir for about 2 minutes until jalapeno, onion, and garlic are well coated with spices.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and salt, stir well. Increase heat and cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, parsley, and mint. Stir well and heat through. About 3 more minutes.
- Serve over rice.